What is the purpose of the study?
To maintain a biorepository (sample bank) of biological samples from different tobacco users and non-users to investigate how tobacco and nicotine products affect our bodies.
Researchers will look for biological “markers” (biomarkers), or chemical changes in the body, that occur due to tobacco or nicotine exposure. The goal is to eventually use these biomarkers to improve detection, prevention, and treatment strategies for tobacco-related diseases.
How often are the clinic visits?
You will attend 1 visit that could last 1-2 hours depending on the samples you provide. Additional visits may be possible if you are interested, and if additional samples are needed.
What will I be doing in the study?
Currently this study collects a variety of samples under 3 different conditions. If you are eligible, you can participate in any of the 3 collections that you are interested in (you do not need to do them all). For all collections you will be ask to complete questionnaires about your demographics, medical and medication use history, tobacco and alcohol use history, and exposure to chemicals, smoke, and vape.
1) Individual Sample Collection - You provide biological samples such as saliva, cells from your mouth, urine, and/or blood.
2) Pre/Post Sample Collection – Smokers and vapers will be asked to a) provide saliva, cells from your mouth, and cheek cell samples; b) smoke or vape your usual nicotine product; and c) provide saliva, cells from your mouth, and cheek cell samples again.
3) Abstinence Urine Collection – Smokers will be asked to provide multiple urine samples (collected at home) during a 72 hour period. The first 24 hours you will smoke as normal. The next 48 hours you will not be allowed to smoke / use any nicotine products / smoke any other substances. You will complete virtual breath tests 3 times daily to confirm non-smoking status.
Will I be compensated?
You will be compensated for your participation depending on the samples you provide.
1) Individual Sample Collection – Participants will be compensated $10 for transportation/questionnaires, $10 for saliva, $10 cells from your mouth, $10 for urine, and $20 for blood.
2) Pre/Post Sample Collection – Participants will be compensated $70.
3) Abstinence Urine Collection – Participants will be compensated $360 only if they complete ALL study requirements.
What should I do if I have any questions?
If you would like to learn more about this study or to find out if you qualify, please call 612-624-4566 or e-mail [email protected]